Criminal defense attorneys provide legal representation to individuals who have been accused of crimes. Criminal charges come in all shapes and sizes; the defense lawyer will prepare their clients for their potential defense against these charges.
If you have been arrested and charged with a crime, you should seek representation from an experienced criminal defense lawyer at the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates as soon as possible. Hiring a criminal defense lawyer is not something that you should do lightly.
A criminal defense lawyer should only be hired when all else has been tried and then there is probable cause to believe that your arrest and charge are unlawful.
When you have been arrested and charged with a crime, the first thing that you need to do is to get representation from a qualified criminal defense attorney. The attorney will review the police report that you will be required to sign at the time of your arrest. He will also interview you about your circumstances and the events leading up to your arrest.
Your counsel will then negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecutor on your behalf. A plea bargain is a deal in which the prosecution offers a reduced sentence in exchange for your cooperation with the ongoing case.
- There are many different reasons that people are charged with criminal offenses. In many cases, federal government agencies and state and local police departments will charge individuals with crimes. Some examples of federal criminal charges are conspiracy, securities fraud, obstruction of justice, money laundering, and theft.
- In certain instances, state and local police departments will charge individuals with criminal offenses if the suspect committed the crime in their jurisdiction. If you cannot afford private counsel, you may be able to afford legal representation. There are many ways that you can afford legal representation.
- Many defendants who cannot afford private counsel will work with the local criminal defense attorneys provided by the court system. If your local court does not provide legal representation, many public defenders’ offices can offer free legal consultation. In most cases, once you meet with your lawyer and receive paperwork from the prosecuting attorney, you will be able to represent yourself in court.
- If you cannot afford to hire legal representation, or you are concerned that you may not be represented appropriately during your court appearance, you may wish to contact a bankruptcy attorney or an immigration attorney. These types of attorneys are experienced in dealing with the court system and prosecutors. They can give you advice on how to represent yourself, and what documents you should prepare and how to fight the charges against you.
- These types of attorneys can also give you an idea of your monthly salary and help you prepare for your court appearance. Many criminal defense attorneys do not require you to have a court appearance upfront; they will only charge you a percentage of any fines you receive and will consult with you about your case until you have reached a disposition where you agree to accept a guilty plea.
The importance of hiring a lawyer is important for several reasons. Not only do criminal defense attorneys provide a legal expert opinion on your behalf, they can help to build your defense. Attorneys who take on your case are aware of various court rules and can advise you on how best to plead. Even if you have reason to plead guilty, it is wise to have criminal defense attorneys represent you in court, as they have the experience needed to defeat any charges against you.