Myths About Personal Injury Cases

Personal injury attorneys and their clients have been the subject of ridicule and skepticism. According to Woodland personal injury lawyer Howell, There are a few myths that people tend to believe about personal injury cases that are simply not true.

Personal Injury Attorneys are Greedy Ambulance Chasers

As with other industries, there are areas of law that are more lucrative than others. Personal injury law is not the highest-paying area of law in which an attorney can practice. Patent lawyers, criminal lawyers, and real estate lawyers make far more money than personal injury attorneys. Injury attorneys work on a contingency basis and only make money if the case they are working on is successful.

An Accident Victim Does Not Need an Attorney if the Person Who Caused the Accident Has Insurance

Just because an at-fault driver has insurance doesn’t mean an accident victim will get all of the money that they should when they file a claim. Insurance will use every loophole they can to get out of paying all the money that they should.

An insurance adjustor might investigate your case, approve of it, and make you a settlement offer, but that offer is unlikely to be fair. An attorney can tell you how much you should get, and they can negotiate with the insurance company and get you the money you deserve. If they are unable to get you that money, they can always represent you in court against the insurance company.

See also  5 Tips for Finding a Personal Injury Lawyer

 Some Injuries are Too Small to Claim

A person may walk away from an accident, feeling as though they are only a little banged up. They may not even bother to go to the doctor.

You should always have an X-ray after you have been in an accident. There are some injuries that do not show up for several weeks after a collision. X-rays are very expensive. If a doctor finds anything on that x-ray, treatment will be even more expensive. It is always worth it to file a claim with the at-fault person’s insurance company.

If the Other Driver Caused the Accident, They Will Pay All of My Bills

California is a pure comparative negligence state. Each person must pay for the percentage of the accident that they caused. If the other driver was 100% at fault for your accident, they will have to pay all of the accident’s associated bills. However, your award will be reduced If you were at all to blame for the accident. For example, if you were 10% at fault for an accident and the other driver was 90% at fault, you would only be able to recover 90% of your bills from their insurance. Your insurance would pay 10% of their bills.

If you are injured in an accident, is always worth it to talk to an injury attorney. Insurance companies want you to believe the myths so they do not have to pay you what you are owed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *